How the marketing research affects the improvement in the dental doctor-patient relation
Keywords:in-depth interview, dental marketing, consumer perception, relation strategies
AbstractThe relation between provider and customer in the services area, mainly medical, represents a fundamental desideratum. This type of relation derives from a two-way involvement of both parts at the entire marketing mix level. The base of new marketing strategies that imply effective relation models can only be built by setting out an ample time related investigation process of the mechanisms pertaining to the customer’s perception of the quality and the coordinates of the relationship with the provider. The article aims to investigate the mechanism leading to customer retention in the case of dental offices, both from the perspective of customers and providers.The authors conducted an in-depth interview-type qualitative research, which identified and pointed out the extent to which the marketing activity, as seen from the perspective of specific principles and scientific methodology, is implemented in the dental offices in Bucharest.The research was also focused on the perception of specialists, dental office/clinics managers or owners regarding the concept of customer retention, elements which could lead to keeping customers, and the image of the ideal office from the perspective of services adjusted to consumers.
Berkowitz N. Eric, Essential of Health Care Marketing, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, SUA, 2004.
• Berry L. Leonard, Relationship Marketing of Services – Growing Interest, Emerging Perspectives, “Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science”, Volume 23, Number 4, Springer Netherlands, 1995.
• Bhattacharya C.B., Gruen W. Thomas, Ahearne Michael, Antecedents and Consequences of Customer – Company Identification: Expanding the Role of Relationship Marketing, “Journal of Applied Psychology”, Vol. 90, No. 3, pp. 574-585, 2005 (Indexing databases: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1583010).
• Bodog Simona Aurelia, Daina Lucia Georgeta, David Katalin Gabriela, Dental Medical Services Quality and Consumers Satisfaction, Studia Universitatis “Vasile Goldiş” Arad – Economic Sciences, issue 1-2, 2008, pp. 120-129.
• Clouse, Bradley Alan, Ph.D., The economics of Dental Care Utilization, University of Kentucky, Doctoral Dissertations, 2003.
• Gârdan Daniel Adrian, Geangu Iuliana Petronela, The Impact of Promotion Techniques on Buying and Consuming Behaviour of Pharmaceutical Products, The International Scientific Session, Challenges of the Knowledge Society, 3rd Edition, Editura Prouniversitaria, Bucuresti, 2009, CKS – eBook is indexed BDI by EBSCO Database.
• Gârdan Daniel Adrian, Geangu Iuliana Petronela, The Key Factors in Customer Retention for Dental Medical Services – Requirement for the Sustainable Development of the Medical Sector, Conferinţa Universităţii Spiru Haret “Dezvoltare durabilă şi energii regenerabile”, Editura Fundaţiei România de Mâine, Bucureşti, 2009, articol indexat BDI – RePeC: http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/rissphedp/2009_5f170.htm.
• Grote D. Kurt, Newman R. S. John, Sutaria S. Saumya, A Better Hospital Experience, McKinsey&Company,2007,http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/A_better_hospital_experience_2081, accesat 16.12.2008.
• Keller Linda Olson, Strohschein Susan, Social Marketing. Public Health Interventions, Applications for Public Health Nursing Practice, Minnesota Department of Health, Division of Community Health Services, Section of Public Health Nursing, Metro Square Building, The 129th Annual Meeting of APHA, October 22, 2001, http://apha.confex.com/apha/128am/techprogram/paper_15076.htm.
• Kotler Philip, Ned Roberto, Nancy Lee, Social Marketing: Improving the Quality of Life, Second Edition, Editura SAGE, California, London, Greater Kailash, 2002.
• Kumar Padhy Prasanta, Sabyasachi Rath, Patient Satisfaction and Marketing Effectiveness in Selected Large Hospitals, 15 January 2010, (indexat în BDI: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1537255).
• Mazzei Alessandra, Russo Vincenzo, Crescentini Alberto, Patient Satisfaction and Communication as Competitive Levers in Dentistry, The TQM Journal, Volume: 21, Issue: 4, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2009, pp. 365-381.
• Misra Ram, Mukherjee Avinandan, Peterson Richard, Value Creation in Virtual communities: the Case of a Healthcare Web Site, International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, Vol. 2, Issue 4, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, 2008, p. 321-337.
• Orzan Gheorghe, Gârdan Daniel Adrian, Geangu Iuliana Petronela, Marketing Research about Customer Retention for Dental Services, Marketing – From Information to Decision, Editura Risoprint, Cluj-Napoca, 2009.
• Piqué M. Josep, E-health and Healthcare Organization, E-health Conference, Barcelona, march 2010, http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/activities/health/docs/events/
• Popa Mircea Ioan (coordonator), Promovarea sănătăţii şi educaţiei pentru sănătate, Editura PUBLIC H PRESS, Bucureşti, 2006.
• Rădulescu Violeta, Cetină Iuliana, Orzan Gheorghe, Planificarea activităţii de marketing în serviciile de sănătate, Economie Teoretică şi Aplicată (Theoretical and Applied Economics), vol 6 nr. 6(523), Asociaţia Generală a Economiştilor din România, 2008.
• Zhengynan Wang, Swinder Yanda, C.P. Rao, Dental Services Marketing: Do Market Segment Based on Usage Rate Differ in Terms of Determinant Attributes, “Journal of Services Marketing”, vol. 10, ISS. : 4, pp. 41-55.